- 1 can Ocean Spray whole berry cranberry sauce (don’t use a generic store brand)
- 1 package red Jell-O (any flavor)
- 1 container frozen strawberries (plastic tub, frozen with sugar), thawed
Heat cranberry sauce until hot and slowly stir in dry package of Jell-O. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Add strawberries and stir. Refrigerate.
Note: Unless I am making this just for me and my husband, I always double the recipe. It can be served with a sauce of sour cream and lime juice, or decorated with a squiggle of cream cheese or whipped cream.
Swedish Pizza Salad
(You can adjust the recipe according to the actual size of your cabbage. I found most are 2-3 pounds in weight. A 1-pound cabbage will only make a couple of servings once it sits overnight.)
- 1 lb cabbage, very finely shredded
- 1/2 cup green or red pepper, sliced thin and cut into 1/2″ pieces (optional)
- 5 teaspoons white wine vinegar, you can use white vinegar instead
- 5 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil (optional)
Shred the cabbage in thin pieces. If the pieces are long, you can cut them in half. Prepare the red and/or green pepper slices.
Combine vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano and basil in a small bowl. Place the cabbage (and peppers) in a large bowl and pour the dressing over the cabbage. Now the fun part! Using clean hands squeeze and knead the cabbage well. The cabbage begins to shrink.
You can add more seasoning at this point if you would like. Put a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the salad mixture. Then put a heavy bowl on top of the salad to weigh it down. This helps break the slaw down further and combine the flavors. Leave the salad to rest overnight in the refrigerator. Serve cold!
- 2 pounds elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken or turkey or ham
- 2 thinly sliced cucumbers
- One-half cup chopped sweet onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- One-half cup chopped green peppers
- One-half cup chopped red peppers
Mix all together and prepare the dressing:
- 1 cup Italian dressing
- 2 cups Miracle Whip
- 1 tsp. salt
- One-fourth tsp. pepper
- 2 tsp. dill weed
Mix together and pour over salad shortly before serving.
- 1 (3.4 oz) instant pistachio pudding mix
- 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows (I use the pastel colored ones!)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 8 ounce container of frozen whipped topping, slightly softened
- I mix in a few Maraschino cherries, plus put a few on top for garnish
Combine the pistachio pudding mix with the crushed pineapple and juice, mix well. Add in the marshmallows, nuts, and maraschino cherries (if desired). Fold in the softened whipped topping. Chill well before serving. NOTE: Your salad may seem a little “runny” but do not add more marshmallows. Trust me, they will soak up part of the liquid. If you add too many marshmallows, the salad becomes very stiff.