- 1 head green cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped (he made his pieces no longer than 1.5” long and .a quarter inch wide, so they were pretty small)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 sweet onion, chopped pretty small
- 3 green onions, minced (you can include the green ends)
- 1 medium-sized whole dill pickle, minced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 Tablespoons dill pickle juice
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar (David used apple cider)
- 2 Tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch (1/8 teaspoon) of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt (it will be divided out)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
In a large bowl, mix together the cabbage, carrot, sweet and green onions, and dill pickle. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, dill pickle juice, vinegar, mustard, sugar, cayenne pepper and 3/4 teaspoon of the salt. In a small bowl, mash together the garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Then add it to the dressing. Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and stir until well coated. Cover and put in the refrigerator at least 8 hours. Makes about 12 servings.