The recipe this week comes from my youngest brother, Dean. He’s become quite the cook in recent years. When we gave him some of our delicious Cherokee potatoes, he came up with this recipe and calls it: "Super Galactic Garlic Mashed Potatoes"
- 5 pounds of Potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- Three-fourths cup fresh garlic (about 3 full bulbs) sliced or chopped but large enough to not fit through strainer
Boil these items in water or chicken stock or half and half (I prefer chicken stock or half water half stock)
When done, drain the potato water and keep it
Smash the garlic and the potatoes and add:
- Three-fourths to one cup of sour cream
- Stick of softened butter (half cup)
- Salt and pepper
- Three-fourths cup of thinly sliced scallions (not onions – they are too strong)
- Cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 .Mix them together so they are slightly mushy but not soupy, adding the potato water to get that consistency. These will firm up with further baking as well raise in the casserole pan. Place in a buttered casserole pan. Drizzle olive oil (EVO is the best) over the top. If you want you can put some cut up chives on top as well. Bake for 30 minutes until the top is golden. Freezes well, comes alive with butter on top (what does not come alive with butter?).