I made this yummy breakfast bake last weekend and it was a hit. I used turkey ham for the meat. This was one of those recipes on Facebook with some of my own alterations.
- 1 package (6 oz) onion and garlic salad croutons
- 8 oz (2 cups) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham – pork or turkey
- One-half cup chopped sweet onion (optional)
- One-half cup chopped green and/or red peppers (optional)
- 1 cup sliced portabella mushrooms (optional)
- 5 extra large eggs
- 2 and three-fourths cup milk (divided)
- 1 tsp. ground mustard
- 1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of mushroom or chicken soup
- 1 package (26 oz) frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 tsp. paprika
- One-half tsp pepper
Place croutons in a very well greased 3 quart baking dish or cake pan. Sprinkle with the cheese, ham, onion, peppers and mushrooms. Sprinkle the ground mustard evenly over the top. In a large bowl whisk the eggs, and 2 and one-fourth cup milk. Pour over the mixture in the pan. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Combine the soup and remaining milk until blended. Spread over casserole. Top with hash browns. Sprinkle with paprika and pepper.
Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for 40 more minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. This will serve approximately 8-10 people and is great for left-overs.