Potato Sausage Soup
- 1 lb. spicy Italian sausage – crumbled
- 1/2 lb. smoked bacon – chopped or one 3 oz. jar of prepared real bacon pieces, which I used
- 1 qt. water
- 5-6 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 large potatoes – scrubbed clean, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves – peeled, crushed
- 1 med. onion – peeled, chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (or half and half)
- salt and pepper – to taste
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the sausage, breaking into small pieces as you fry it; drain, set aside.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown bacon; drain, set aside. OR use the pre-cooked real bacon pieces
- Place water, broth, potatoes, garlic, and onion in a pot; simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender.
- Add sausage and bacon back into the pot; simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add kale and cream to pot; season with salt and pepper; heat through.
Serve with soda crackers and bread. It will warm you from the inside out.