Swedish Pizza Salad
(You can adjust the recipe according to the actual size of your cabbage. I found most are 2-3 pounds in weight. A 1-pound cabbage will only make a couple of servings once it sits overnight.)
- 1 lb cabbage, very finely shredded
- 1/2 cup green or red pepper, sliced thin and cut into 1/2″ pieces (optional)
- 5 teaspoons white wine vinegar, you can use white vinegar instead
- 5 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil (optional)
Shred the cabbage in thin pieces. If the pieces are long, you can cut them in half. Prepare the red and/or green pepper slices.
Combine vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, pepper, oregano and basil in a small bowl. Place the cabbage (and peppers) in a large bowl and pour the dressing over the cabbage. Now the fun part! Using clean hands squeeze and knead the cabbage well. The cabbage begins to shrink.
You can add more seasoning at this point if you would like. Put a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the salad mixture. Then put a heavy bowl on top of the salad to weigh it down. This helps break the slaw down further and combine the flavors. Leave the salad to rest overnight in the refrigerator. Serve cold!