Chicken Pasta with a Kick
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound chicken breast meat, cut into small pieces
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced and chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch green onions sliced
- 2 T tomato paste
- 1 16 oz. can Ro-Tel
- one-half cup chicken stock (add a little more if it needs more moisture)
- 4 slices of cheese (I used Havarti but many other types would work)
- 2 cups Rotini pasta (I use Dreamfields low-carb brand)
In a large fry pan, heat the EVOO and stir in the raw chicken chunks. When it is just beyond the pink stage, push the chicken to the side of the pan and add the celery, onion, carrot, garlic, and mushrooms. Stir until vegetables are tender. Mix chicken with the vegetables. Add tomato paste, Ro-Tel, and chicken stock. Stir well. Add the cooked Rotini pasta and mix well. Reduce heat and place the sliced green onion and slices of cheese over the top and let it melt. If you would like the green onions cooked, add them at the same time you add the chicken stock.
The Ro-Tel gives it a little kick. You can buy this in different spicy levels so choose the one you like the best. I’ll make this again as it was very tasty and relatively easy to make.