- One-fourth cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
- Three-fourths cup all purpose flour
- One-half tsp baking powder
- One-half tsp baking soda
- One-half tsp ground cinnamon
- One-half tsp ground cloves
- One-fourth tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Two-thirds cup Libby’s pumpkin (or a generic brand)
- 1 cup walnuts (optional. May be put in the cream cheese spread instead)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 15” x 10” jelly roll pan and line with wax paper. Grease and flower the paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen dish towel with powdered sugar.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in a large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in the pumpkin. Stir in the flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle nuts if desired.
3. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. (If using a dark-colored pan, start checking “doneness” at 11 minutes. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.
- 1 pkg. (8 oz) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 6 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar (optional for decoration)
Beat ream cheese, powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Re-roll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour. Sprinkle powdered sugar before serving if desired.
NOTE: Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel when rolling up the cake so it will not stick.