SUNFLOWER SEED BRITTLE
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups sugar*
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups raw or roasted sunflower kernels
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
*Healthy Option: unrefined sugar (Sucanat or Rapadura)
You must have a candy thermometer in order to do this recipe. If you don’t get the temperature right, the brittle won’t set up correctly.
- You will need a large heavy saucepan. Turn the heat to medium and with the tablespoon of butter grease the sides of the pan. Add sugar, corn syrup and water; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until the candy thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage).
- Stir in sunflower kernels and butter. Continue to stir and cook on medium to 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; vigorously stir in vanilla and baking soda to the mixture in the pan.
- Pour into a large buttered pan or cookie sheet with sides. Spread evenly about a quarter inch thick.
- Once the brittle is cooled, break into pieces. Store in an airtight container.