Stuffed Cabbage Soup
- Cut chunks of beef and brown them in oil in a soup kettle – I used a small chuck roast or you could use a round steak or sirloin. You can make it as meaty as desired.
- Add onion chunks and stir as you brown with the beef. I used one medium size onion.
- Add one package (16 oz) of coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- Stir together and add:
- 2 cans of beef broth (I used the kind with less sodium and fat)
- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- One and one-half cup water
- One-fourth cup of brown sugar
- One teaspoon salt
- One tablespoon lemon juice
- Ground pepper to taste
- Bring ingredients to a boil and add one cup long grain rice, white or brown is fine
- Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
Delicious with bread or soda crackers.