Grandma Meier’s German Potato Salad
- 5 pounds potatoes. Peel, cook, and cool.
- Fry 12 oz. cut up bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from the pan. Set aside.
- Add one-fourth cup flour to the bacon drippings. Stir.
- Mix in a separate bowl until the sugar is dissolved:
- 2 cups white vinegar
- One half cup water
- One and a half cups sugar
- One teaspoon salt
- One eighth teaspoon pepper
- Add the vinegar mixture to the pan with the bacon fat and flour. Boil until it thickens. It should be the consistency of gravy. If it doesn’t seem thick enough, thicken with a mixture of cornstarch and water.
- To the cooled, sliced potatoes stir in:
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- Crumbled bacon.
- Pour the warm sauce over the potato mixture and stir.
Serve warm. If it needs to be refrigerated overnight, rewarm before serving.
(you can microwave it to rewarm or some people like it cold, too)