This week’s recipe is for a great salad that would be perfect for your New Year’s Eve gathering. This recipe also comes from Duane, our manager, who made this for our staff Christmas party.
- 3 heads of Romaine Lettuce – chopped into salad size pieces
- 2 packages of Ramen Noodles (any flavor as the flavor pkg. is not used)
- 1 tbsp Butter or cooking oil spray
- 6 oz slivered Almonds
- 2 cans Medium Deveined Shrimp – drained
- Three-fourths cup Miracle Whip
- One-third cup vinegar
- One-third cup Sugar*
- One-fourth cup vegetable oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds – optional
- 1 tsp Sesame oil – optional
In non-stick fry pan on medium heat, melt 1 tbsp butter, or spray lightly with cooking oil. Break up Ramen Noodles into 1" pieces or chunks into pan, and lightly brown. Watch closely as they may burn if left too long. Drain noodles on paper towels.
Add slivered almonds to now empty pan, and toast until partly golden. Remove from heat and let cool.
Chop Lettuce and add to large serving bowl along with slivered almonds and toasted Ramen Noodles.
Drain Shrimp and add to serving bowl.
Mix Miracle Whip, vinegar, Sugar*, vegetable oil, (poppy seeds, and Sesame oil – optional) with a whisk, or mixer to thoroughly blend. Pour over salad mixture to desired "wetness", and toss before serving.
Serves about 12
*Healthy Option: unrefined sugar (Sucanat or Rapadura)